The 38th Manila International Book Fair (MIBF) is right around the corner, and what better way to spend a day or two (or five!) with your kids than enjoying the country’s largest and longest-running bookfair?
Set on Sept. 13-17, at the SMX Convention Center, MOA Complex, Pasay City, MIBF 2017’s special events will definitely have your kids giddy with excitement. Now occupying two floors of the SMX Convention Center, this year’s MIBF is the biggest one yet, with the entire second floor dedicated to children’s books and young adult novels.
It may get overwhelming to plan out your trip to the MIBF, so don’t worry, we’re here to help! Here are five things you and your kids should definitely do at the MIBF 2017:
- GO BOOTH-HOPPING. MIBF exhibitors in their beautifully designed booths each give discounts and freebies, or conduct games and raffle. Take advantage of these and go home with extra goodies.
- GET CHILDREN’S BOOKS FOR CHEAP. Make sure to bring an extra bag or stroller, because the special offers at the MIBF will let you get your hands on plenty of new books for a great bargain. With a floor exclusively for children’s and young adult books and discounts ranging from 10% to 70% off, your kids will be pretty busy finishing all the new books from their MIBF book haul.
Adarna House will be hosting book signings for their children’s and young adult books on Sept.16 and 17 and a book launch on Sept. 17 so don’t miss the chance to get those new books signed by the authors!
- FREE YOUR CREATIVITY. If your kids are itching to get their creative juices flowing, MIBF has the perfect fix to help them unleash their inner Picassos. On Sept. 16, Artline will be hosting an art workshop. Architect and award-winning illustrator and author Jomike Tejido will also be holding a clay molding and storytelling workshop on the same day.
- BE THE MIBF LITTLE MISS PRINCESS PAGEANT. You may have eager daughters who are hoping to someday fulfill their princess dreams. The Little Miss Princess Pageant just might be the answer to their prayers! Open to girls ages 5-12, the pageant will be held on Sept. 16. Fill out the application forms available on the MIBF Facebook page or register onsite at the “Princess Pageant” registration area on Sept. 16 at 10 a.m. Submit a background music and high-res soft copies of one photo in princess costume and one photo in casual wear. Online applicants may send the requirements to email@example.com cc firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject PAGEANT_[LAST NAME, Name].
Awards at stake are Best in Princess Wear, Best in Talent, Little Miss Photogenic, and Little Miss Princess 2017. All winners will receive a sash and gift bag, while Little Miss Princess 2017 will receive P5,000 cash prize, a crown, and a gift bag.
- ATTEND A STORYTELLING SESSION, such as CBN Asia’ Oyayi Storytelling for “Oh My Kulay!” on Sept. 14 and 15. If they are up for a bit of a challenge, have your kids join the Lampara Storytelling Competition on Sept. 17 and show that children are not simply listeners, but great storytellers as well.
The MIBF is organized by Primetrade Asia, Inc. in partnership with Asian Catholic Communicators, Inc., Book Development Association of the Philippines, Philippine Booksellers Association, Inc., and the Overseas Publishers Representatives’ Association of the Philippines. For details, call 896-0661 or 896-0682, e-mail email@example.com, or follow @ManilaBookFair on Twitter.